Who: Authors of the study published in "Science" research Soay Sheep
What: Soay sheep decrease in size.
Where: On a remote land in Scottland.
When: As the winter shortens. Also, research says Soay Sheep have been decreasing its size for the past 25 years.
Why: Results suggest that the decreas is mainly on ecological response to enviromental variation. Evolutionary change had contributed little, report says. Also, when the winters shorten, they don't feel the need to put on as much weight in the first months to survive.
My Opinion: I would have never expected animals to shrink. Let alone Soay Sheeps from Scotland. Before I knew of this, I thought it was a joke, but after finding information about it, I understand. Since this is speaking of evolution, it reminds me of how people who live in Africa live near the equator, therfore, their pigment is darker, and they don't get sun burnt. Where as the people who live in Europe have lighter and more pale skin ,because they live more northern and its easier for them to get sun burnt. This evoltion effected later generations to have the same pigment as their family generations before them. After I've acknowledged this, I realized that evolution can be found in many places
Where I Found My Information: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/07/02/climate.change.sheep/index.html
No comments:
Post a Comment